OT HDW question update

Mark Jarvis m.jarvis at cox.net
Thu Jan 12 11:56:20 MST 2012

If I understand what I've been reading about the DVI interface, without
the 4 pins around the horizontal bar, there's no analog output in the
plug--see diagram. The DVI-D ones--which is what I have on one
machine--do not have the analog signal.

Quoting: "As well as digital signals, the DVI connector includes pins
providing the same analog signals found on a VGA connector, allowing an
analog VGA monitor to be connected with a passive plug adapter (or with
a converter cable with VGA at one end, and DVI-A or DVI-I at the other).
This feature was included in order to make DVI universal, as it allows
either type of monitor (analog or digital) to be operated from the same
connector.

The DVI connector on a device is therefore given one of three names,
depending on which signals it implements:

  * /DVI-D/ (digital only, both single-link and dual-link)
  * /DVI-A/ (analog only)
  * /DVI-I/ (integrated -- digital and analog)"

One machine has both DVI-I & VGA ports, the otheronlythe DVI-D,. I'll
try to find a spare video card and see if that will help.

Mark