OSS distributed system imaging solutions?

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Fri Jan 6 06:22:42 MST 2012

Hi Ben,

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 12:52 AM, Ben Browning <benb at bensbrowning.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 8:40 PM, Ted Gould <ted at gould.cx> wrote:
> > I haven't used it, but I think that Orchestra does something like this.
> > Not sure about the FreeBSD support, but I think it just works off of
> > disk images, so it wouldn't care.
>
> Just took a look at it, and it is looking a lot like Satellite or
> Spacewalk fro RHEL/Cent. EG it automaes Ubuntu installs, and probably
> Debian ones. I wish it would do what I need, but it can't.
>
> Thanks though, that was an interesting read!
>
> ~Ben

You could always create a group of standard installations, hardened, with
all the various things you need configured, then boot to ramdisk (or
Knoppix) and dd the install ISO to a NAS, or USB drive, so that your
install basically consists of booting to Knoppix (or another ram disk) and
dd'ing the ISO back on.  This presupposes that all your hardware is
basically the same or similar for each type of install.  The nice thing
about this is you can rebuild quickly back to your base.

You can also write various scripts for each type of build to lay on
packages, configure mac address, ip address and gateway by pulling from a
flat file list or network database?

You can also use OSC Inventory, or chef or puppet to manage packages, setup
hosts files, etc.

--
(602) 791-8002  Android
(623) 239-3392 Skype