OSS distributed system imaging solutions?

Ben Browning benb at bensbrowning.com
Thu Jan 5 14:11:39 MST 2012

Hey guys,

I'm poking around looking for a solid system imaging solution for
automated deployment/installation of new servers in a wide variety of
datacenters across links of varying speeds and costs. I'm looking for
something I can use on Linuxes, FreeBSD, and Windows, as well as
something for physical and virtual machines. I'd like if it could
split off XPE/DHCP functions, image-serving functions, and
administrative interface among different servers. Especially if I can
cache the images on HTTP proxies. Also, a decent API is kind of
important too :) I used to use Systemimager
(http://www.systemimager.org/), but it seems to have stagnated a bit
and doesn't support Windows and Freesd (though I imagine it could be
hacked to do so, for freebsd anyway) as well as having many other
failings with my (admittedly broad) requirements.

The closest thing I have found so far is Fog
(http://www.fogproject.org/) . It looks moderately robust, but I
thought I'd ask around and see if anyone else has found other
solutions. I've also looked a bit at LinMin (http://www.linmin.com/),
but licensing costs $unknown_amount and FreeBSD support is "under
consideration". FastDeploy (http://www.fastdeploy.com) doesn't seem to
support FreeBSD, and has a single dev.

Anyone have other options for me to poke at?

~Ben