backup entire system

kitepilot at kitepilot.com kitepilot at kitepilot.com
Mon Jan 2 05:34:44 MST 2012

Save the current checksum value of your files:
# >/tmp/files.md5
# find / -xdev \( -path /tmp -o -path /var/tmp \) -prune -o -type f \
#     -exec md5sum "{}" \; >>/tmp/files.md5

Validate that they haven't changed:
# cd /
# md5sum -c /tmp/files.md5
(This is what the  --checksum option of rsync does)
SAVE /tmp/files.md5 SOMEWHERE ELSE, most systems will cleanup /tmp on every
boot.

To "replicate your system":
Boot the boxes with a CD (Debian live works good and is lite, no "X"):
# sudo -i
# apt-get install ssh
# mount -text4 /dev/sda1 /mnt
(You'll need to create partitions and filesystems on the "other" box)
And from your box:
# rsync -vaxHXY --checksum --super / root at otherbox:/mnt

On the other box:
You'll most likely need to adjust the /etc/fstab file because most distros
use UUID and they will not match, although that's an entirely different
subject altogether.
Quick and dirty options are:
.- Build the new filesystems with the same UUID(s),
.- Change the /etc/fstab to match the new UUID(s) or,
.- use absolute devices (/dev/sda1) to mount the drives.
I think that RedHat still uses labels, which renders the same solution after
you replace "UUID" with "label".

Finally on your "other" box
(DO NOT DO THIS ON "your" BOX UNLES YOU *KNOW* what you are doing)
# grub-install /dev/sda
And now you should be able to boot your other box like your own.

Of course there are only 731598564385+1 variations and applications of the
recipe above.  You have there all the information you need to "solve the
problem", now you need to "define the problem" an reshuffle the instructions
above to fit the shoe.

For more info (on EVERYTHING) go read:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Enjoy...