accessing home network

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Sun Jan 1 00:06:02 MST 2012

Great, except that about 2 million idiots will be hitting your open SSH
port every day, so you will HAVE to MAINTAIN port knocking and SSH
bruteforce iptables.

There is really no reason not to use a VPN, especially if you are security
conscious and don't know iptables syntax.

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 9:53 PM, Michael Butash <michael at butash.net> wrote:

> Strong crypto and authentication is ideal, ssh with shared-key or strong
> pass is ideal in a bastion (single) host scenario.  If you have limited
> home lan resources, this is just fine.  If you run multiple hosts, vpn
> becomes ideal to expose route ability to your entire lan. Xwindow or VNC
> via ssh-based port forwards work well for graphical interfaces in this
> scenario too.  You can use sshfs (apt-get/yum install) for file sharing
> easily too.
>
> Consider enterprise concept of connecting to more than a *few* hosts.
> Openvpn is a nice gateway for this, especially if you have a ddwrt or
> tomato-based firmware'd router, or a flexible vmware environment.  You can
> likewise buy a small cisco pix 501 firewall off ebay that'll do enterprise
> ipsec crypto vpn for a cable modem off ebay/craigslist for a hundred bucks
> with (solid) cisco software client support for ipsec vpn.  It accomplishes
> direct ip/port connectivity without the port-forwarding mess assuming you
> memorize ip's or setup dns.  This gives employable experience as well in
> the security/network world.
>
> -mb
>

> On 12/31/2011 08:57 PM, Michael Havens wrote:
>
>> How does one access their home network from a remote location? What I
>> want to do is backup my laptops hard drive to my desktops hard drive
>> with fsarchiver. I know..... by the time I get a reply I will be home
>> and will have accessed my home network but I might need to do this for
>> some other reason.
>>
>> --

(602) 791-8002  Android
(623) 239-3392 Skype