OT--HTML coding question

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Mon Feb 27 08:37:45 MST 2012

> From: "Mark Jarvis" <m.jarvis at cox.net>
>> [SSI] sounds like a good solution. If this was a commercial web site
>> I'd probably do it. However this is something I'm doing on a
>> volunteer basis using donated space and I'm trying to keep everything
>> small and simple--especially simple.

SSI is pretty simple as these things go, and every web server seems to support
some form of it because it's just so useful.  The only thing you really have
to do is to make sure it's enabled for your directory and that the server's
actually interpreting SSI statements in appropriate files.  That's another
line in the apache conf:

AddOutputFilter INCLUDES .html .htm .php .inc

...which tells apache to parse filenames ending in those things for SSI
statements.

From: Phillip Waclawski <waclawski at mesacc.edu>
> <?php include 'filenametobepasted'; ?>

This may work too, but:  Relative filenames may not work, depending on your
php.ini's include path settings.  And usually, files that end in .html won't
be parsed for PHP code, unless you change the server's config to make it do
that.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows