OT: What is the best way to restore crashed xp

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Thu Feb 23 10:04:11 MST 2012

Hi Joe,

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 9:49 AM, <joe at actionline.com> wrote:

> Much as I despise widows and everything M$, for the same reasons that one
> should avoid selling one's brother-in-law a used car, I am resisting the
> urge to try to convert my nephew to Linux for now.
>
> Instead, I just need to find a fast and efficient way to get his win-xp
> box restored to a working state ... and I do not have an xp disk and key
> available to reinstall.
>
> So, surely would appreciate any guidance from the plug brain trust on this.
> I wasted 4 hours yesterday using the HP restore function and when that was
> done I could not get the control panel to display so I could delete a lot
> of stuff that I suspect is causing the system to run incredibly slow and
> continually self-reboot.

This sounds like a virus.  You might have tried to boot into Spybot Search
and Destroy initially.

But I understand there are two types of HP restore.  I would refer to the
HP site and follow their suggestions:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=ca&dlc=en&docname=bph07103&lc=en#N282

There's a torrent available with an ISO, which you can burn to boot to
restore to SP2, but it might also be less than secure:
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/4616501

HP will send you a restore disk, if you didn't make one, also.

You will need an XP disk to reinstall.  Maybe someone on the list can help
there?

> Help!

(503) 754-4452 Android
(623) 239-3392 Skype