hard disk failure

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Mon Feb 20 08:59:35 MST 2012

From: Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com>
> "sudo e2fsck -b block_number /dev/xxx"
> The first backup superblock was at 131072. Are other
> backup blocks located every 131072?

No.

 dumpe2fs  /dev/mapper/vg-usr32 | grep 'Backup super'
  Backup superblock at 32768
  Backup superblock at 98304
  Backup superblock at 163840
  Backup superblock at 229376
[snip]

Multiply those by 4, and you see the first backup is 131072, second is 393216,
third is 655360, fourth is 917504, and they're spread even farther apart as
they go up.  A 7.9G filesystem here has 8 backup superblocks, while a 50G
filesystem has 11.  I'm not sure how the copies are distributed, but there's
probably a fairly simple algorithm in the source for mke2fs that describes it.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows