hard disk failure

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 08:35:34 MST 2012

How do you copy a backup superblock to the primary position? Or how so you
tell the computer to look at a backup superblock?..... there it is!
(here<http://linuxexpresso.wordpress.com/2010/03/31/repair-a-broken-ext4-superblock-in-ubuntu/>)
"sudo e2fsck -b block_number /dev/
xxx"

I have  a question:  The first backup superblockwas at 131072. Are other
backup blocks located every 131072?

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 5:28 PM, Matt Graham <dan <danceswithcrows at usa.net>

> Also, if you're having trouble mounting an ext23 filesystem, something you
> might want to try is to mount it using the backup superblocks.  "mount -t
> ext3
> -o sb=131072 /dev/sda2 /mnt/somewhere" is the canonical first backup
> superblock to try.  Or since reading the disk appears to be working, copy
> each
> partition somewhere, make a copy of that copy, and attempt to work on that
> copy with e2fsck and/or debugfs.
>
> --
> Matt G / Dances With Crows
> The Crow202 Blog:  http://crow202.org/wordpress/
> There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see