gigabit ethernet question

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sat Feb 18 23:46:31 MST 2012

Look at your disks.  If you run a gui on your ubuntu box, use gkrellm
with a view per-disk.  You can usually tell easily with it when
something is gnawing on a disk and chugging down the system.  SSD's for
personal computing made this problem go away largely for me.  Using
gkrellim, you can see network i/o, proc, cpu, disks, and sorta memory
for what is hoarding.  Htop is nice too for seeing what is chugging you
down.

GigE speed is a bit illusory, as it takes a lot of disk/cpu to stream
data at a sustained rate like that.  Iperf tells you realistically what
your system can support across the network, using it on both lin/win to
see.  It sends bits from memory, generating them faster than reading any
data and sending it via protocol, usually getting 92%-ish of the pipe if
your network supports it (in your case, nics don't suck).

Protocols vary widely for me.  NFS is faster than CIFS by at least 40%,
ftp is fast when the disk being written to isn't io-locked.  Use the
sysstat package and iostat to monitor disks.  Tweaking with schedulers,
tcp_rmem/wmem, qos, etc helps more.  Windoze use perfmon to watch disk
i/o and everything else.

Make sure you're not getting errors on your interface as well, walmart
isn't exactly the your friendly neighborhood performance networking
shop.  I get bunk cables from frys occasionally still in a pinch when I
bother there.

-mb