hard disk failure

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 11:39:47 MST 2012

30 gigs is what it was.... that might be bad. I ran it against one
partition rather than the whole disk so it should be smaller... shouldn't
it be?

another thing....
I tried to mount sda1 abd it tells me that I need to specify the file type
so I try with ext4, 3, and 2 but they all returned with the same error
(mount: wrong fs type) so I check dmesg|tail and the reply is:

     NTFS-fs error (device sda1): ntfs_fill)super(): Not an NTFS volume.
     UDF-fs: No VRS found....
     UDF-fs: rescanning....
     UDF-fs: No VRS found
     UDF-fs: No partition found (1)
     etc....

I get it If you issue the mount caommand it automatically tries to mount
with each filesystem it knows about. So basically all of my filesystems got
erased.... which means bad disk. Right?

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Kevin Fries <kevin at fries-biro.com> wrote:

> is this a 30GB disk?
>
> if so... This looks perfect.  Otherwise, I hope your block size was
> something other than the default 512 bytes.
>
> Kevin
>
> On Fri, 2012-02-17 at 11:07 -0700, Michael Havens wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM, kitepilot at kitepilot.com
> > <kitepilot at kitepilot.com> wrote:
> >         Another (NON destructive) check you may to do:
> >         as root:
> >         dd if=/dev/{your partition} of=/dev/null
> >         Your HD will (most likely) be OK if it finishes without other
> >         error than "read beyond EOF" (or something like that)
> >         ET
> >
> > It finished with no error. The return was:
> >
> >      55285760+0 records in
> >      55285760+0 records out
> >
> > Is that a good sign?
> > --