ssh

Walter Mack wmack at componentsw.com
Thu Feb 16 16:09:54 MST 2012

You can use a pipe into ssh. The other machine will get your data on
stdin. So you need to tell the remote shell what to do with the data.

Try this:
tar --ignore-failed-read [your selection of files to back up] -czf - |
ssh remoteuser at remote.system "cat > destination_file.tar.gz"

The trick is to give the command for the remote shell (stuff in
double-quotes at the end of the line above)