How to set up a simple 'chat' with Linux?

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Mon Feb 13 16:24:57 MST 2012

It's pretty easy to install ejabberd and configure a few accounts,
apt-get install ejabberd and http to the right port for it for config.
With pidgin you can simply point a jabber account to the server and off
you go.

Bit more complexity with some dns work gets you confederation ability
(i.e. talk to gmail.com - need service record, not hard if you have dns
hosting on a domain or run in internally).  Clients will work without a
server then too.

-mb