Question about USB R/W Speed

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Thu Feb 2 09:02:17 MST 2012

From: Mark Phillips <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz>
> Gnome reported that the transfer speed was around 400 - 500 KB/sec.
> I then plugged the same stick into the same port on my laptop, but
> transferred files (~1.5 GB lots of little files) from Windows 7
> running in VMPlayer, and got a transfer speed of 4-5 MB/sec - 10
> times faster! Is there some magic in windows that makes USB sticks
> faster?

If ehci_hcd isn't loaded, then USB2 devices will be limited to USB1 speeds.
If a device is mounted with "-o sync", I/O on that device will be slower (but
it shouldn't have been that slow).  If you're using an automounter, that
automounter may mount removable media with -o sync .  Finally, your USB device
may have some sort of flag in unusual_devs.h that says "This device may not
work reliably at high speed; force it to low"--but I think that'd be unlikely.
 Check the presence of ehci_hcd first.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows