Windows 8 demo video parody

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Mon Dec 31 11:59:54 MST 2012

On 12/31/2012 11:29 AM, Lisa Kachold wrote:
> I have to differ that Windows AD is the only directory management beast
> out there worth using!

Never said it was, but you'll never NOT find some level of ad servers
around already to tame the stupid windoze desktops everyone want still.
  Since likely they'll also house all of your users already, why not?
Likewise makes centralized management quite easy with little effort -
join to a domain, add groups to sudoers.

I have no aversion to other directory services as a point or whole
solution if it is the groundwork foundation, it's just typically not
already in modern enterprise whereas AD almost assuredly is.

> This is a matter of running a dumbed down OS; running systems that
> ensure you don't need to know anything about the systems you support,
> and we have all seen from the Microsoft example, that this is a
> dangerous and UNSTABLE INSECURE development model.

I don't know about you, but I don't want to deal with users to reset
their passwords.  Hire an mcse for that.  IAM *enterprise-y* solutions
are all about the windoze love, as are the folks that pick up the
inbound calls on the cheap.

Unless you are a dev shop with expendable resources to diy yourself to
your needs, it doesn't often make sense to reinvent the wheel, nor will
an established enterprise let you.  They love off-the-shelf vendor
garbage despite the dubious reality of the crappy code beneath, as in
the end they're simply an entity to blame when it breaks.

-mb