Windows 8 demo video parody

Nathan England nathan at nmecs.com
Mon Dec 31 03:39:16 MST 2012

That is hysterical! The first real computer I owned was a Compaq Presario
486DX2, 66MHz with 4 MB of ram and it came with Windows 3.1? and Bob. I
thought it was a game or something and I could never figure it out, so I
deleted it. It was later that day that I found the Yahoo! page for operating
systems and discovered linux. I was hoping to find the Mac OS like I had at
school to run on my pc. I had no idea they were such totally different
beasts... That was a long time ago!

I have Windows 7 Enterprise 90 eval on a partition of my workstation for
testing and IE use when necessary, and Netflix. My wife will occasionaly use
my laptop for checking her email in Firefox. I decided to see how realistic
these stupid usability videos are with a fairly non-technical user who is not
afraid to click around, so I installed Window(s?) 8 on my system and didn't
say a word. Unfortunately, I was never able to surprise her with the system
change, as she came into my office to ask me what all the grumbling and
griping was about. I was laughing so hard, and then grunting and moaning, then
laughing, she thought I was playing a game or something. So I had to explain
what it was.

It has been a week now that I have been using Windows 8. I installed my
development tools on it and decided I would try it for a little while. I have
two screens. Any of you experience this wonderful system with two screens yet?
You think this new system is fubar when you only have one screen? Try two!

I really do like the Netflix "app" that I was able to download from the app
store. The interface rocks. As long as you don't use it. Are you serious? This
thing is useless! Search for movies? you have to exit the app, use the
"charms" bar, type in your search, then select the Netflix app to search in...
Hello ! What usability expert approved this?

Then it suffers from the typical windows "I don't know how long this will take
to transfer, so I'll make something up" dialog box. When you use the netflix
website and you click somewhere in the video timeline it will jump to that
section and dispaly a bar or circle thing showing how much is buffering. In
the netflix app it is obvious it is depending on windows for this info. It
will start at 0 and quickly move to 100% then suddenly its at 50% and climbs
to 100%, then it drops to like 15% and s....l....o....w...l...y... moves to
about 27% and suddenly starts playing the video... That's IF it acutally seeks
correctly.

Windows 8 really is not usable as a real system. Cygwin is screwed and not
even fun to use anymore. Putty is the same old ugly putty, nothing can make it
worse.

Try setting a different browser as the default and all the "apps" that are
designed to use IE as the browser will fail, or at least kick you to the
desktop with no obvious way back to your Modern UI. How many people know there
is a windows button on their keyboards? If you don't know that, good luck
click the 60 pixel wide button to get back to Modern!!!

Just my .02

Nathan