Kubuntu updates

Alan Dayley adayley at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 11:31:02 MST 2012

I'm coming in late here, so forgive me a bit.

There is a line in any Linux system where you cross from what I think of
customization and into configuration. Don't get hung up on the terms. What
I'm saying is that there are things I can change which will not be effected
by updates and things that I can change that will be effected by subsequent
updates.  This line is sometimes hard to find but many packages and
software apps will have warnings about where this line is for them.

I have had more satisfaction and less update breaks with Linux when I made
sure to find the line where crossing means I'm in the area of configuration
that the creators of the software will be changing in the future. And I
learned to live inside those lines as much as possible. And I was happier.

Now, it is also true that sometimes the creators of the software cross the
line the other way and mess up my customizations. But I have found these
instances to be few.

So, my advice is to find the distro that does most everything you want
without you changing anything, and then live with it for a while. Maybe the
configurations that are giving you grief are not really things you need to
get your work done.

Just some thoughts.

Alan