Questions about Kubuntu 12.04 and its updates

Lee Reynolds Lee.Reynolds at asu.edu
Thu Dec 27 01:36:57 MST 2012

I've been using Kubuntu for some time now on my Linux desktop system and I've been happy with it, or at least as happy as I can be.  Open source desktop projects have too many code monkeys who think they're cognitive psychologists mucking with interfaces and generally making a mess of things.  Everything sucks, everything is broken.  This applies to KDE as well, but it sucks the least....once you beat it into submission that is.

I have my system set up to do updates every day, and I even include the repository for KDE that gets me the latest release.  I've never seen it blow up.  I'm running KDE 4.9.4 on Kubuntu 12.04.1.

The stock install of KDE on Kubuntu suffers from the same ugliness and "Look ma, visual effects!" nonsense that it does on other distros, but these can be turned off, beat down, and changed around.  Once you do this, it is stable, functions well, and doesn't blow up.

Best of all, with *buntu you don't have to import a slew of quasi-compatible 3rd party packages to get things like mp3 support and flash working.  The things you'd expect a normal computer to do just work.

Lee Reynolds
Systems Analyst Principal
ASU Advanced Computing Center
a2c2.asu.edu

GWC-558
480.965.9460 (Office)
480.458.7434 (Mobile)

Have an A2C2 related question or problem?

Just send an email to the following address detailing
the nature of the question or problem and a service request
will be created automatically:

support at hpchelp.asu.edu