Questions about Working with (or around) Unity in Ubuntu 12.04

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Tue Dec 18 13:31:04 MST 2012

On Tue, 2012-12-18 at 13:09 -0700, Tom Haws wrote:
> Even though I have no respect for Ubuntu's Unity desktop, I don't want
> to make this a gripe thread.  I have Ubuntu 12.04 installed on a
> Windows 7 VirtualBox machine, and I need to make it work as
> productively as I can for the time being.  That said, I have a few
> questions:
>

> 1.  The Launcher is not rolling out for me since I installed 12..04.
> It previously would roll out when my mouse was near the left side of
> the desktop.  To access the Launcher I now have to press the Windows
> key on my keyboard.

This is probably caused by using virtual box, in that the launcher in
12.04 behaves based on how hard you push it open.  In your case that's
causing the pointer to leave the window.  I'd probably just recommend
leaving it open.  You can adjust that setting and also the reveal
sensitivity in the "Appearance" control panel on the "Behavior" tab.

> 2.  I cannot find any way to Show the Desktop.  I have never been able
> to do this in Unity (or in Gnome on Linux Mint).

It's on the Alt+Tab switcher, first item.

        --Ted