Boot Problems

David Lopez lopezdavid123 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 18:38:16 MST 2012

mark

on you machine from a terminal, do a "dmesg" command and pipe it to a file
for inspection using cat or text editor.
you should see the relative times on the left and output of your boot up on
the right. maybe you can figure it out.

david

On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Mark Phillips
<mark at phillipsmarketing.biz>wrote:

> I have an older Dell Tower running Linux version 2.6.32-5-686 (Debian
> 2.6.32-41squeeze2) (dannf at debian.org) (gcc version 4.3.5 (Debian 4.3.5-4)
> ). It is a headless system that just serves some web pages, php, mysql, and
> a few others. It stopped booting, so I hooked up a monitor and keyboard and
> rebooted. It ran into problems checking the disk, so I let it boot into
> read only mode and ran fsck. I accepted all the defaults - there were some
> damaged inodes, so I let it fix them. It is booting OK now and seems to be
> running OK. The broken inodes were in some perl packages (late last night,
> did not write down the package name).
>
> The only strange behavior now occurs right at boot - it hangs a long time
> (~2 min)  at the first two steps after grub loads:
> There is only 1 gig of ram in the system, so the ram disk cannot be that
> large! -
> Ouput from top:
> top - 18:09:05 up 1 min, 2 users, load average: 0.27, 0.16, 0.06
> Tasks: 84 total, 1 running, 83 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
> Cpu(s): 0.0%us, 0.3%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.7%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
> Mem: 1032772k total, 176740k used, 856032k free, 6916k buffers
> Swap: 2017272k total, 0k used, 2017272k free, 90536k cached
>
> Is there anything I should do at this point, or just keep it running?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

David López
Software Engineer