How to set up a dual boot on a thinkpad

joe at actionline.com joe at actionline.com
Fri Dec 14 11:25:51 MST 2012

Joseph Sinclair wrote:
> This actually looks like a NTFS junction point; rather than a file.
> You may need to use specialized software to remove it, as Windows
> has no built-in support to create or delete junctions (but it does
> follow them).

What software can I use to remove this block?

> The other thing that might be messing you up is that NTFS puts it's file
> database roughly in the middle of a partition.  Try resizing the partition
> down as far as you can, then chkdsk the volume in Windows (usually Windows
> forces this on the next reboot), then try another resize.

I did resize the partition as far as it would allow me to do so
and I did try chkdsk and then tried another resize/shrink.
But it is still blocked.

I also tried gparted and it also is not able to shrink that win7 C:
partition any further.  It is still 'locked' at 67-gig of which only
12-gig is used.

> In that way Windows may move that troublesome "file" out of the way.

Sadly, that troublesome "file" is still blocking, and it is shown
as an empty file.  Why does M$ do this to us (except to be annoying)?

>>> You said you killed Paging but did not say anything about turning off
>>> the Restore Point functionality which is also needed. I assume you
>>> did that also.

Yes, I did also remove that.

>>> I would try to find that file (search from a linux LiveCD if
>>> you have to, to try to learn what it is and decide whether
>>> to try deleting it.

I've also tried that, but I can't find it, and the win7 "shrink"
utility shows it as an empty file, in any case.