internet tv/movies

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Thu Dec 13 16:32:54 MST 2012

If you're trying to get content to download; you'll probably have to pay for a service.
Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Redbox(just announced) all offer content for a monthly subscription.
Flixter/Ultraviolet offers some content for a fee-per-movie.  Amazon VOD also offers downloadable content.
Other services offer similar options.

Netflix has a Chrome extension that works pretty well as long as you're on a standard laptop or desktop (supposedly they're working on porting it to ARM chips).
The others all seem to require flash on their websites, but with Flash they do generally seem to work on Linux.

Some devices (Roku, "smart" TV sets, android tablets, etc...) have apps for Hulu and others; but for a computer you're mostly looking at the websites.

If you just want user-generated free content, then YouTube and Vimeo both work pretty well on Linux.  Vimeo actually offers better HTML5 support, and they have some pretty top-notch videographers on the site.