How to get K3b to find optical drive? SOLVED

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sat Dec 8 13:33:57 MST 2012

I've had this happen over time when a drive is nearing EOL, as generally
the drive would get flaky and not show up occasionally.  Replacing it
with a new one worked...  This has happened several times with internal
or usb units.

Run "tail -f /var/log/syslog" to see if udev finds it when inserted and
creates the /dev/sr0 interface for it.  Flaky ones would usually probe,
but not respond correctly giving errors in syslog, and thus not fully
building the /dev/sr0 interface being amiss.

-mb