nef files no preview (nef is the nikon raw file format)

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Fri Dec 7 13:09:41 MST 2012

This isn't going to solve your problem, but I just wanted to point out
that you will want to turn the preview threshold way back down.

The reason being is that your can cause your computer to become
unresponsive or at least very slow from the preview function.

I discovered this because of a talk that I was giving on Inkscape.  I
wanted to show a difference in file size, in an extreme way between a
raster file format (PNG in this case) and Inkscape's native SVG format.
  I did this my making a rectangle 20,000 by 20,000 rectangle in
inkscape and then saved it as an SVG.  The SVG file was maybe 1k.  I
then exported a PNG version that ended up being just over 4MB, much
smaller than I thought it would be, but being all one color it was a
perfect case for PNGs compression to shine.

Then the problems started. Just after creating my examples, my computer
started to freeze when I entered the directory that I was using for my
presentation with Dolphin, KDE's file manager.  I didn't know what was
going on, because it was repeatable and I hadn't done any upgrades.

What ended up being the problem was the 4MB file was below the system
threshold for creating a thumbnail and so it was trying to decompress
the image in order to create a thumbnail.  The problem was it needed
over 16GB of RAM in order to do that.  And that amount exceeded the
amount of RAM and swap combined on my system, not that I was willing to
sit around and wait for it to finish, if it had.

I ended up deleting that land mine of a file and just simply mentioned
what I had discovered instead of coming up with hard numbers.  The SVG
version of the file would preview instantly... so go SVG!

Everyday files aren't going to need 16GB+ of RAM in order to create
previews, but with today's high MP cameras, it's not unlikely to come
across images that will need a gig or two.  That can greatly slow down
everything just to get a thumbnail in a file manager.  I would siggest
cranking it down to the point that most things show up, but the big
images are left out.  Then just use a dedicated image viewer that most
likely does a MUCH better job at caching thumbnails so you only have to
generate them once.

Brian Cluff