Hard Drive

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Tue Dec 4 10:27:24 MST 2012

On 12/04/2012 01:22 AM, Eric Allen wrote:
> I can't get my hard drive to spin down, it runs continously even when not in use. I've tried google and "hdparm -B255 -S170 /dev/sda" and get no where. I'm running Ubuntu 10.04LTS and the hard drive is a western digital ATA WDC WD3200BPVT-OOHXZT3 WD-WXU1CA1R0673. I've also edited the /etc/rc.local and the /etc/hdparm.conf to show the hdparm as above mentioned. I'm trying to get it to spin down and take a "break" so to speak when not in use because the laptop is getting hot on the lower right corner where the HD is located. The HD is running around 115 degrees.
>

> .
> Eric
> 480-772-6896
> .

When I looked into running on a USB flash drive a while back, I was
interested in minimizing disk i/o. I discovered that journaling
(kjournald daemon) writes pretty frequently to the disk. Perhaps that's
what's keeping your drive active. I've no idea how to tune that though
to write less frequently. My solution was to turn journaling off, which
was suitable for my needs (server w/ UPS, running fsck on boot).

collectl is the command I used to determine which processes i/o is
attributable to. Nice little tool.

--
-Eric 'shubes'