How to install an rpm.tar.gz printer driver?

thomas at redhat.com thomas at redhat.com
Tue Aug 28 13:40:42 MST 2012

On 08/27/2012 09:25 PM, joe at actionline.com wrote:

> Still trying to find how to get our Canon mx439 wireless printer to work
> from our Linux system and the search has led me to a printer driver
> download offered on a Canon website in Australia. Why would they claim
> that it is only to be used in Australia and New Zealand ???

Might be wifi regulations. When I install Linux on my laptop, there's a
binary blob which is the firmware for the onboard wifi NIC. That blob
tells the radio on the NIC what frequencies and what power it is allowed
to use. The power output is actually legally limited differently country
by country.

--
Thomas Cameron, RHCA, RHCSS, RHCDS, RHCVA, RHCX
Chief Architect, Canada and Central US