How to install an rpm.tar.gz printer driver?

joe at actionline.com joe at actionline.com
Mon Aug 27 19:25:33 MST 2012

Still trying to find how to get our Canon mx439 wireless printer to work
from our Linux system and the search has led me to a printer driver
download offered on a Canon website in Australia. Why would they claim
that it is only to be used in Australia and New Zealand ???

http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0100412501.html

I've downloaded the driver from that website:

-- cnijfilter-mx430series-3.70-1-rpm.tar.gz --

And now need to know how to install it.
Is there any reason why it would not work in the US?
What would be the steps to follow to install it and get it to work?

I think the unpacking command might be something like:
tar xvf  or zxvf (filename.gz) but not sure.

Please advise.