gcc

Patricia Wilson wilson.pr.gm at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 20:10:27 MST 2012

Compiling gcc from scratch, as I am sure you found out, is actually a
bootstrap process. It starts by compiling a tiny compiler which it then
uses to compile the main compiler. Or at least that is how it used to work.
We used to have to do it for our Suns in the early 90's because all that
came with them was a very minimal UCB compiler.Also, I think that nowadays
if you just do the build with no switches you automatically get a whole
bunch of compilers. GCC stands for GNU Compiler Collection.

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Holy-moely! I've been compiling gcc for 2 hours now!

Sent from my super hot-shot dual core 64 bit Gateway running Ubuntu 12 from
the chrome/teak/glass desktop in my Luxo Scottsdale condo.

Patricia Wilson
Apache Junction, AZ
Member NRA, ARRL
WB8DXX (Extra)