programming

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 20 08:22:06 MST 2012

I'm not sure what being a skilled JavaScript programmer really means, however there are lots of challenges.  Maybe that is why there is a "shortage", if there really is one.  Maybe you can achieve everything you need to with jQuery or another such library.  You will need to know HTML, how the DOM works, and CSS.  At that point if you learn PHP or some other server side programming language you would have a complete marketable skill set.  Of course basic Apache and MySql skills would come in handy also.  None of these skills live in a vacuum.

Being a JavaScript expert would be pretty neat since JavaScript runs in the browser.  I'd do some research on demand before jumping in.

If I were just getting started I'd learn how to program a smart device running Android.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Another thing you might consider.  It is very hard to break into programming in Corporate America.  Learning how to program smart devises might help you do freelance work.  That might be where you really find the demand.

Another thing.  Having several people give you advice on a tech list is just that.  The bottom line is you have to make it work.  The buck stops with you.  I'd do lots of research and try out the different languages before investing lots of time and effort.  Also develop a business plan.  Even if you plan to work W2, I suggest a business plan so you can see how that might work.  You are a business even if you work W2.

The first questions I'd ask myself is :

1) what are you deeply passionate about
2) what were you genetically encoded to do
3) will, whatever this is, drive you economic engine?

Having a desire to be a programmer does not mean one should become a programmer.  You may have been designed to do something else.  Also programming skills come in handy in other fields.  For instance if you were in a financial analyst position you might be more productive if you were able to pull raw data from a database, and create reports, maybe in spread sheet format, that you and your group might be able to use in the performance of your duties.

Keith Smith