programming

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Sun Aug 19 17:11:33 MST 2012

I would start with Python/Django (for a faster start) or Java (for a stronger foundation if you don't need to be working right away).
The JavaScript world seems to be moving more towards templating (e.g. Dust) and other tactics to focus more on the graphic design work for the browser tier and keep the bulk of the programming on the server tiers, so I'd be reluctant to invest in that language right now.

For Python make sure you're learning 3.x, for Java make sure you're learning good fundamentals of Computer Science and the Java version taught is 6 or 7.

For Mike's situation I'd recommend something with a fast start, and Python/Django or Dust/JS are very good choices in that regard.