How to print to Canon wireless printer on my Linux network.

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Thu Aug 16 23:59:23 MST 2012

I'm assuming you run a single subnet (192.168.x.x/24 or such) behind a
router, so an ubuntu host can typically "scan" for a given printer in
settings, assuming the printer actually got an ip address and routing
(wifi security can be troublesome).  It should respond to ping, and can
usually find it at least probing/using jetdirect tcp/9100 or lpd on tcp/515.

That said, never tried a cannon, but have various office lan brother and
hp's.  If you can't ping it, check arp on your host and router.  If no
arp, its usually not there.

-mb