how to transfer files

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 15 08:01:52 MST 2012

I do it this way also.  I have ftp turned off.  I have configured SFTP via SSH.  Two classes of users - non sudo and sudo.  sudo user cannot log in or access via ssh.  I log in via a non sudo user and su to a sudo user so I have access to root.  Also with a static IP you can use your IPTables to block access to only the IP's you want to access your server.  I use this approach also.

The IPTables solution will require some forethought.  You will need to open your server to any IP from which you will want to access your server.  This solution will not work if you will be on a road trip and using many unknown access points.

While I have not used it I think you might be able to use Virtual Private Network (VPN).

Keith Smith