ot Online school

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Thu Aug 9 09:01:54 MST 2012

Win7 was a pig for me, wanted 20g or so just to install (not cool on a
64gb ssd vs. 8gb for xp with os, apps, fully loaded), and 2gb ram to run
decently (4gb if i wanted to power-use a lot of visio and other apps).
Overall for as little as I do with windoze, xp is more than sufficient
still as a compatibility layer to export their garbage to something usable.

I found at a client of mine that used citrix xenapp, it's literally runs
a win vm, exports the app over the network ala vbox's "seamless" mode,
and you end up with a windoze-y app window inside linux.  I really wish
they didn't license the living hell out of xenapp on both the citrix and
M$ side, as it would make for a nice solution at home too for my
windoze-app sans windoze necessity.

Word of warning, I keep my windows instance hidden on a nat interfaces
and/or behind a firewall bridged at all times to protect it from
exposure for lack of patching and such, and never use it for actual
browsing or anything to avoid drive-by infections.  It manages to keep
it from being perpetually infected like most other users I see without
the necessity of av, malware, and other chastity belts for windoze.

Yes I know about wine, but it's proven useless for any complex M$ apps
over the years.

Side-note, Onlive (gaming remote render/export client) does something
like this now, exporting a limited free win7 desktop with office apps
now I've been meaning to try.  I had tried on my phone, but their stupid
client simply fails to work on my android - ymmv.  I might actually pay
to save from having to keep a win vm just to convert things and/or use
visio, assuming Onlive fixes their damn client...

-mb