Question about rwxrwxrwx files and/or dirs

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Wed Aug 8 19:49:36 MST 2012

Hi Joe,

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 7:08 PM, <joe at actionline.com> wrote:

> Question about rwxrwxrwx files and/or dirs
>
> Lisa's reply to Keith prompted me to wonder if I perhaps had any rwxrwxrwx
> files or drwxrwxrwx directories on my system that might be a security
> risk. So, while I don't know how to search the entire hard disk for such
> files, I used variants of the following syntax to search for some.
>
> $ ls -ltr */* | fgrep rwxrwxrwx
> srwxrwxrwx 1 joe joe 0 Aug  7 11:35 mysql.socket=
>
> Another similar found this:
> srwxrwxrwx  1 joe joe 0 Aug  7 11:35 tmp/akonadi-joe.nMNQOV/mysql.socket=
>
> Another similar found this: /home/joe/mydata/graphics/psp
> drwxrwxrwx 3 joe    4096 Dec 12  2003 Freebies
>
> Another similar found a whole lot of: lrwxrwxrwx
>
> Do any of these suggest a security risk?
> Is there a better way to search more comprehensively for others?
> What, if anything, could I or should I do to eliminate a risk?
>
>  If these are actually serving content to the world and you have a ftp php
application like wordpress does (and Apache does) served from DocumentRoot
(or with symlinks outside DocumentRoot and FollowSymlinks allowed, you
could have a security issue.

If you don't have any website on that server and are not allowing user
shell or xterm accounts, you are probably fine.
--
(503) 754-4452 Android
(623) 239-3392 Skype