Question about rwxrwxrwx files and/or dirs

joe at actionline.com joe at actionline.com
Wed Aug 8 19:08:30 MST 2012

Question about rwxrwxrwx files and/or dirs

Lisa's reply to Keith prompted me to wonder if I perhaps had any rwxrwxrwx
files or drwxrwxrwx directories on my system that might be a security
risk. So, while I don't know how to search the entire hard disk for such
files, I used variants of the following syntax to search for some.

$ ls -ltr */* | fgrep rwxrwxrwx
srwxrwxrwx 1 joe joe 0 Aug  7 11:35 mysql.socket=

Another similar found this:
srwxrwxrwx  1 joe joe 0 Aug  7 11:35 tmp/akonadi-joe.nMNQOV/mysql.socket=

Another similar found this: /home/joe/mydata/graphics/psp
drwxrwxrwx 3 joe    4096 Dec 12  2003 Freebies

Another similar found a whole lot of: lrwxrwxrwx

Do any of these suggest a security risk?
Is there a better way to search more comprehensively for others?
What, if anything, could I or should I do to eliminate a risk?

Lisa replied to Keith, in part: