the cloud bites back ( or cumulus security is all wet and see through )

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Tue Aug 7 23:47:02 MST 2012

Am 06. Aug, 2012 schwätzte Derek Trotter so:

moin moin Derek,

> I read about this earlier today.  Long before today I decided never to trust
> anything to a cloud.  I made this decision because of all the accounts I've

Unfortunately, our data has been in the cloud since long before the cloud
existed. Anytime you visit a web site, you're leaving data in the cloud.
Online purchases even more so.

> read over the years of hackers breaking into corporate systems and stealing
> passwords, credit card numbers and so on.  Also the recent failure of cloud
> services due to power failures back east reinforced my suspicion of "the
> cloud".  What good is the data to you if you can't get to it due to a power
> or equipment failure?
>
> I've long believed it's a smart move to backup anything important you're
> going to put on a laptop or other portable device.  It's too easy for any of
> these portable devices to get lost, stolen or damaged.  I did read a few

Yup. But, I don't backup often enough :(.

> years ago that Google keeps a copy of mail in your gmail account even if you
> delete it.  If that's true today, Mat should be able to contact Google and
> get his mail back.

Yeah, there's a possibility that he can get his data back. It's bad that
this type of thing happened where he needs to wonder if that's possible.

> I'm no expert, but I would not suggest trusting anything to a cloud.  Sure,
> encrypt your data before sending to the cloud, but also keep a copy where you
> can get to it.  If it's really important, keep a copy somewhere besides your
> home, a safe deposit box perhaps.

An important tip there, encrypt the data locally before putting it in the
cloud. Another important tip you gave, make sure to have a copy of
anything you need in a place that you can physically access.

ciao,

der.hans
#  "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who
#  are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
#    --Albert Einstein