applications

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Sat Apr 28 20:59:29 MST 2012

From: Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com>
> the default media player is Banshee which makes things s-l--o---w
> down. Not as bad a the download manager did but still... I have
> no experience with media players so I need to open this to discussion.
> Which do you guys and gals prefer and, if you can say, why do you
> prefer it?  I'm looking for something that is not very resource
> intensive as this will be on a machine that is around ten years old.

Music:  audacious .  It's essentially a clone of old-school WinAMP, it can use
the same skin files, and it really whips the llama's ass.  Its predecessor
XMMS ran fine on a P150 with 48M, so it should run just fine on a machine from
2002.

Movies:  Depends.  mplayer or xine.  xine has better DVD-navigation, while
mplayer can play almost any video format.  I use xine more often, because I've
often wanted to play DVDs I owned/rented on a Linux box.  Video decoding is
more CPU-intensive than audio decoding, though, so you'll probably want
something like an PII-400 with 128M to get reasonable results for MPEG-2.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows