how do you use ssh to look at and control the other computers monitor?

Kevin Fries kevin at fries-biro.com
Thu Apr 26 06:10:08 MST 2012

Actually, it should work fine, but the switch is not a magic pill.  It will
not start a graphic desktop for you automatically.

First, set your display variable, generally it will need set to 10.1 or
11.1, then start a program on the remote machine that has a GUI, such as
Firefox.  If you do it correctly, Firefox will run from the remote machine,
but tunnel the graphics back via the tunnel to your desktop.

VNC will remote the whole desktop, not just a single X app.

Kevin