Win 2k3 co-located server and Linux Samba Mirrors

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Mon Apr 9 21:22:57 MST 2012

I'll second dfs, or dfs-r(2) preferably.  You more or less have to run
real windoze dc's at some point anyways, so take advantage of the
proprietary solution within it unless you can afford netapp/emc/other
storage solutions that do it more effectively as a canned, optimized
solution.

Cisco and other enterprise-y vendors do "wan optimization" products
around dfs as well effectively, using it as a caching solution for
remote wan solutions when you get large enough to need it.  Sharepoint,
wiki's, etc are built to scale around file storage (and sorting of it),
whereas dumb storage is just that.  Can only grow the san so far without
being more intelligent about storing the data anyways.

Look at something that does dedupe too so those 58mb tps reports aren't
replicated 300 times bi-weekly. Check out opendedup.org and tell us how
you fare.

-mb