change home directory name

Matrix Mole matrixm at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 13:13:37 MST 2012

If you are changing your username, there is flags to the usermod command
that can help change the home directory. The -d flag to usermod will update
/etc/passwd with the users home directory, and the -m flag will move the
old directory to the new name. I'm pretty sure that usermod will also take
care of the ownership issues as well. Check 'man usermod' for more details
on this. If you don't use the usermod command, then there is also the
ownership issue to consider with changing home directory. The chown command
can help make sure the directory is owned by the correct user with 'chown
-R {username} [homedir]' command.