Windows 8 Spells Trouble for Linux, Hackintosh Users and Malware Victims

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Thu Sep 29 21:41:01 MST 2011

I doubt it.  I've dealt with a few boards (intel oem servers) that
supported both bios or efi, but it's not exactly normal to find server
or other.  I was surprised when I bought a sandy bridge asus board and
it booted a full pseudo mouse-driven environment via efi for bios
control - probably an embedded linux system probably much larger and
complex to store on a dumb bios prom.  Was kinda nifty, but the board
would have to know how to hook either bios or efi means, and being
*secure* usually means your options are dictated, right or wrong.

Unless oem's revolt against microsoft and say no.

Microsoft is still the 3000lb gorilla in the room, but oem's simply
cannot ignore the sale of linux servers to lock out such a large sales
base.  Linux is far too embedded now.  What I see is microsoft wants to
reclaim the desktop market, controlling *consumer* hardware and leaving
linux for "servers".  And themselves, of course.

All it means is it will be more difficult for linux desktop users as
oem's and vendors suck microsoft for discounts, and some will simply
remove the option/expense as they don't care about the linux market
(ahem, hp).  Dell I think will remain agnostic and support both, but who
knows who else will from oem space.  There will be blood.

Then there's vmware/citrix that makes a ton off linux and windoze both,
but ultimately use linux as the base.  They'll have something to say on
the matter before it's done.  Linux of course can adapt to make use of
it as well.  In theory, secure boot is not a "bad" thing, especially
with a world full of lemming users out there, it just needs done in a
sane, open manor that can still be technically secured.

Console game systems have all long proven being crackable beyond any
best effort, that no hardware level security is infallible...  It'll
just piss people off - ask sony about what happened when they took away
otheros option on the ps3 unexpectedly.  There will be a middle ground
one way or another.

-mb