SATA Drives in Hardware RAID?

Michael J. Astrauskas trevie at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 11:34:39 MST 2011

On 9/27/2011 8:53 AM, Lisa Kachold wrote:

> Is anyone successfully using basic (Desktop class, aka cheap) SATA
> drives with hardware controller cards?
I'm have a RAID6 with 6 x 1GB Western Digital Blacks (WDCWD1001FALS0) on
a Dell-branded PERC 6/i PCI-e card that supports up to eight devices, as
well as a RAID5 with a 4-port PCIx 3ware card (SATA1) that has 4 x cheap
500GB drives.  (The latter machine is off and not near me, so I can't
check!)

As I recall, rebuilds on the latter array take 3-6 hours, and 6-9 on the
former.  It's a rare occurrence, so I don't don't fully remember.  I
don't know the TLER status (nor capability) of the drives.

--
  - Michael J. Astrauskas