On Demand VPN

Bryan O'Neal Bryan.ONeal at TheONealAndAssociates.com
Sun Sep 25 10:53:36 MST 2011

truth is a lot of this depends on your vpn. If you are using a closed
binary it is likly tamper resistant. And if your companies policy is
route all tragic through them so the can make sure you are no live
streaming company secrets to competitors then you are probably just
stuck with it. Also when establishing the connection you will still
need to perform your two factor auth so it would not be that convent.
If, on the other hand, you are using something like openvpn just to
bridge networks and keep starbucks wifi network sniffers out of your
business then I would start by checking out the options they suggest
since each one sets up their virtual networking slightly differently.

On 9/23/11, Kevin Fries <kfries6 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Back in the "Good Ol' Days" (wink wink) there used to be a tool that
> would start on boot that would identify your environment at startup.
> You could write a test that would go (pseudo code, not actual test code)
> something like:
>
>     * If my IP is in the 192.168.5.x subnet, then location=home
>
>     * If my IP is in the 192.168.1.x subnet && hostname of 192.168.1.10
> == "snoopy", then location=office
>
>     * if my IP is in the 192.168.1.x subnet && hostname of 192.168.1.1
> == "mail", then location=clientA
>
> Well you get the idea, you could set your network settings appropriate
> to your location.  This was a great tool for consultants, and I used to
> use it on the laptop I used when consulting.  But that was in the days
> before Network Manager, Wicd, and all the other udev based network
> management tools.
>
> Today, I find myself with a similar problem, but on the surface, it is
> far more simplistic.  99% of the time, Network Manager in my Ubuntu
> 11.04 does exactly what it is supposed to do.  I also have a VPN set up
> to my office, that is working correctly, but due to restrictions on the
> VPN from the company, is less than optimal.  But Network Manager is far
> more of a black box than the old ifup/down ever was, so I thought I
> would ask all of you.
>
> What I would like:
>    * When I am in the office, I just want Network Manager functionality
>
>    * When I am not in the office, the default is normal Network Manager
> functionality
>
>    * When I am not in the office, and I try to go to a location (by name
> or IP) that is within a specified range, I want the VPN to activate, and
> route all traffic only for the office over it, while allowing all other
> traffic to go out via the normal, primary, connection.
>
> Anybody have any ideas on this?
>
> Kevin

Sent from my mobile device