Problem with CentOS 6 configuring network

James Dugger james.dugger at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 07:54:25 MST 2011

Kevin,

This seems to have worked.  However I didn't fix the resolv.conf because
there was a note in it that said to add the DNS to ifcfg-eth0. I went into
the admin page of my router, found the real DNS address and added this in
the file on a line starting with DNS1=.

After restarting the network services I noticed the NetworkManager had
updated the resolv.conf file and that the ine nameserver (address from DNS1)
was now added.

The prompt in the CentOS 6 install screen for the computer's name (hostname)
does not get added to the hosts file.  Instead the default file just has the
line

127.0.0.1  localhost.localdomain localhost

Anyway Firefox is working and I just ran yum  update from terminal and it
just completed in update.

Will see.

Thanks everyone for the help.

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:56 PM, KevinO <kevin at kevino.org> wrote:

> On 09/22/2011 09:25 PM, James Dugger wrote:
> > Bryan,
> >
> >>From terminal I am able to ping the loopback, local machine, an iMac on
> my
> > system, the router, 4.2.2.2, and news.google.com.
> >
> Your problem is DNS related. Fix the entry in /etc/resolv.conf or enter the
> proper number for your DNS server using system-config-network.
>
> If you're using DHCP, and relying on your router to supply this
> information, make
> sure your router is properly configured to supply cached DNS info to its
> clients,
> and it knows where a real DNS server is.
>

> --
> KevinO

James