OT: Weirdness With WiFi Access Point

Dale Farnsworth dale at farnsworth.org
Wed Sep 21 09:51:40 MST 2011

> My Android WiFi analyzer only shows three channels
> - the two in my house (channels 3, 11) and a linksys next door (channel 1).
> The linksys next door has a max signal strength of around -90 dbm on a good
> day. I will try switching my DL-524 to channel 5 to see if there is any
> change. BTW, both the DL-524 and WRT54G are g devices.

Be aware that, being spread spectrum, each "channel" operates on multiple
frequencies, and that each channel shares a subset of its frequencies with
some other channels.  It is possible to have up to 3 non-overlapping
channels in an area by using channels 1, 6, and 11.  So to minimize
interference I'd recommend using channel 6 rather than 5.

-Dale