OT: bookmark storage?

azlobo73 azlobo73 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 12:46:41 MST 2011

Check out http://www.getboo.com/ . Its Self hosted (PHP & MySQL / LAMP
stack), social bookmark web app with private ('antisocial') bookmarks also.

Ben

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Bryan O'Neal <
Bryan.ONeal at theonealandassociates.com> wrote:

> For metadata, personally, I mark every book mark with categories /
> keywords that are used for initial search and description so I can
> remember what the site was without having to visit it. I also use
> number of visits and last visited and rank ( I forget which pluging
> gave me that). I do my best to keep my bookmarks organized and remove
> redundancy, but I too have ~200 bookmarks.
>
> On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Matt Graham <danceswithcrows at usa.net>
> wrote:
> > From: "Bryan O'Neal" <Bryan.ONeal at TheONealAndAssociates.com>
> >> True but to replicate the functionality of the various browser
> >> bookmark managers would take significant effort. Higharchacle and
> >> cross referenced listings plus a variety of meta data and search
> >> functionality make hand coding a manager via web page a non trivial
> >> task.
> >
> > Hierarchical bookmarks would be useful, for sure.  But what metadata do
> you
> > *use*?  In the FF bookmarks as JSON, you've got id, parent, date added,
> last
> > modified, sort index, type, charset, and annotations.  The only bits of
> that
> > that I'd classify as "useful" are the annotations, and none of the
> annotations
> > I've got here are actually useful.  They appear to be an array
> auto-populated
> > from something in the bookmarked page, and the bookmarks I have that are
> > annotated all have inept "OMG look at this site!!1!" marketing dreck in
> the
> > annotations.
> >
> > And what, precisely, do you mean by "cross-reference" here?  I've got
> > "comics", "linux", "programming", "shopping", "accounts", "funny", and
> "work"
> > as {folders, categories, whatever}, plus the top level.  Almost nothing
> fits
> > in more than one category.  Things go in the top level unless there are
> at
> > least 5 things that fit in a category.  There are no categories with
> > subcategories.  (Directory trees should be broad, not deep, as anyone
> who's
> > ever looked at the pre-modular X11 source could tell you.)
> >
> > Then again, I've only got 178 bookmarks, and could probably throw 60% of
> them
> > out.  YMMV if you bookmark everything and don't prune things
> occasionally.
> >
> > --
> > Matt G / Dances With Crows
> > The Crow202 Blog:  http://crow202.org/wordpress/
> > There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see

---
Ben

python -c "exec(\"import math\\nprint ''.join(map(lambda x: chr(x), (
(ord('a')-(3*5)), int(math.sqrt(math.pi*76)*5+2), int(math.ceil(math.e)*28),
int(math.floor(math.e)*35), long(abs(4%3*35+3)*2))))\")"**