OT: bookmark storage?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Sat Sep 17 12:23:26 MST 2011

From: "Bryan O'Neal" <Bryan.ONeal at TheONealAndAssociates.com>
> True but to replicate the functionality of the various browser
> bookmark managers would take significant effort. Higharchacle and
> cross referenced listings plus a variety of meta data and search
> functionality make hand coding a manager via web page a non trivial
> task.

Hierarchical bookmarks would be useful, for sure.  But what metadata do you
*use*?  In the FF bookmarks as JSON, you've got id, parent, date added, last
modified, sort index, type, charset, and annotations.  The only bits of that
that I'd classify as "useful" are the annotations, and none of the annotations
I've got here are actually useful.  They appear to be an array auto-populated
from something in the bookmarked page, and the bookmarks I have that are
annotated all have inept "OMG look at this site!!1!" marketing dreck in the
annotations.

And what, precisely, do you mean by "cross-reference" here?  I've got
"comics", "linux", "programming", "shopping", "accounts", "funny", and "work"
as {folders, categories, whatever}, plus the top level.  Almost nothing fits
in more than one category.  Things go in the top level unless there are at
least 5 things that fit in a category.  There are no categories with
subcategories.  (Directory trees should be broad, not deep, as anyone who's
ever looked at the pre-modular X11 source could tell you.)

Then again, I've only got 178 bookmarks, and could probably throw 60% of them
out.  YMMV if you bookmark everything and don't prune things occasionally.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows