test a sed command?

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Wed Sep 14 12:00:59 MST 2011

Am 14. Sep, 2011 schwätzte Dazed_75 so:

moin moin,

> Thank you all.  Apparently I was not clear that I was talking about doing
> this for a number of files and in potentially several directories in a
> hierarchy.  Since sed seems also to have no recursive directory option
> either, it seems I have to just know which direcories have eligable files in

sed --sedgoo $( find $directories -type f )

> them and do it a directory at a time.  I was trying to avoid copying all the
> material to a test directory, but that seemed the best course.  Putting

If you do the test directories you can follow previous advice and just
watch the output or you can use a recursive diff.

> Joseph's solution and Kevin's suggestion together with globbed file names
> for a test showed me I would feel pretty safe even doing this in the live
> directories since the substitution is of IP addresses which are very
> definitive in form.

A regex to recognize IPv4 addresses: ([12]?[0-9]{1,2}\.){3}[12]?[0-9]{1,2}

ciao,

der.hans
#  Strangers are friends just waiting to happen!