OT: Netflix and Linux and LAN

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Tue Sep 13 10:28:53 MST 2011

I am thinking of getting Netflix, and I am trying to figure out how to
distribute it to several TVs in the house, and I was wondering if anyone
else has solved this problem. We currently have cox Internet and cable.

The options I found revolve around buying one of a variety of "boxes" for
each TV and have them access netflix via WiFi. The boxes include googleTV,
ROKU, Wii, etc. It looks to me that the ROKU boxes are the least expensive
and offer access to the most services. Anyone have any experience doing
this? Any major pitfalls to watch out for? Is WiFi fast enough for streaming
video, or should I get the more expensive boxes and use a wired LAN?

Are there any Linux options for distributing Netflix shows over a LAN? I
read that the DRM software used by Netflix is incompatible with Linux, so
perhaps this is a non-starter?

Thanks for sharing any experiences you may have had with Netflix, Linux, and
LANs.

Mark