gedit / permissions problems

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Tue Sep 6 10:54:42 MST 2011

Hi James:

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 8:21 PM, James Dugger <james.dugger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, fat fingers I sent before I finished the last bits of command
> configuration settings that I did  below.
>
> Permission settings for Apache:
>
> # chmod -R 755 sites
>>
> # cd/ home
>> # chmod 711 user_name
>>

> SELinux setting changes:
>
> # /usr/sbin/setsebool -P httpd_enable_homedirs 1
>> # chcon -R -t httpd_sys_content_t sites
>>

> and also:
>
> # /usr/sbin/setsebool -P httpd_enable_cgi 1
>>

> Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks
>
> --
> James

The root . directories (and the rest of your home directory configuration
changes) were excluded (hopefully).

Your gedit is using the root user.  *Are you working as root? ** [You should
never work as root!]*

So to immediately resolve these errors, which relate to a missing directory:

[root at cgws1 sbin]# gedit /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

(gedit:2673): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into
`/root/.local/share/recently-

>      used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file
> '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.F2PF1V': No such file or directory
>
> (gedit:2673): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of
> `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or
> directory

you must:

# sudo su
# cd ~root/
# chmod -R a+rw /root/.local

There is a good possibility that root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel does
not exist.  You would make the directories then, based on what is missing:

# du -h  # watch for directories under .local

# mkdir /root/.local
# mkdir /root/.local/share

And then chmod it:
# chmod -R u+rwx ~root/

Note:

chmod -R is going to do it on all existing files, not just directories.

To target all the .local directories you can use find + xargs

find .local/ -type d | xargs chmod u+wrx

That will fix these issues immediately, however you could also use
*gksudo*which runs gedit under root permissions.  To see the full
configuration
settings for gedit:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/gedit

And googling your exact error, we find this:
(602) 791-8002  Android
(623) 239-3392 Skype
(623) 688-3392 Google Voice
**